Monday, November 21, 2011

Island of the Blue Dolphins Scott O’Dell



Island of the Blue Dolphins           Scott O’Dell

(P 166)
                                                             
“After that summer, after being friends with Won-a nee and her young, I never killed another otter.”  I had an otter cape for my shoulders, which I used until it wore out, but never again did I make a new one. “
” Nor did I ever kill another cormorant for its beautiful feathers, though they have long, thin necks and make ugly sounds when they talk to each other.”
“Nor did I kill kills seals for their sinews, using instead kelp to bind the things that needed it.”
“Nor did I kill another wild dog, nor did I try to spear another elephant.”
“ If Ulape and my  father had come back and laughed, still I would have felt the same way, for animals and birds are like people, too, though they do not talk the same or do the same things.  Without them the earth would be an unhappy place.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment